Homemade Healthy MRE Recipe - Apple Pie Oatmeal

Since I am writing a book of creative and healthy recipes for making MREs using dehydrated and freeze-dried foods, I thought I would start posting some of the recipes here for your experimentation and comments.

All recipes in the book are single servings.

First up...

Apple Pie Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quick oats
3 tsp apple dices
pinch ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1 tsp raw sugar (our preference ... use what you want)

(If desired, add 1 tsp cheddar cheese powder)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients and seal in a small air-tight/watertight bag (I use jars or seal-a-meal or mylar).  When ready to make, rehydrate with 1 cup of very hot water, stir, let sit covered 10 minutes, stir and enjoy.

I make this and other quick oatmeal breakfasts in large batches!  Very yummy.  For a burst of protein, add your favorite nuts, flax seeds or chia seeds. 

No comments: